San Diego Kayaker

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Morning @ La Shores

I meet up with Mike, Bob, and Claire to do some paddling from La Shores. We meet at 8am and were quickly on the water. Mike had lost a tow belt a few days earlier over by the caves so we headed over just to take look. Alas, no belt was found on the rocky beach. So we then turn northward toward Scripps Pier.

There a touch of a westerly swell, giving us about 3 foot seas. There was also a bit of wind coming from the west as well. We paddled in pairs as we rode the swells. When a good set rolled through we would lose sight of the other group. When we reached the pier, we took stock of the conditions. I voted to head back and enjoy the cove some, Bob agreed wondering about the wind picking up. Mike and Claire opted to head north a bit. We had some miscommunication about this. But through the miracle of VHF, Bob and Mike got things sorted out.

Bob and I decided to return back to the Caves and cruise by them. Neither had of us had a helmet and the conditions were not too favorable for poking our noses in them.

We paddled back to the launch point, and waited for a window to land. We waited a bit as we saw how the sets were coming in. Jay went first without too much trouble. I was just at the edge of the surf line, when I nice set rolled in. I was able to back paddle over the first two, but the third one was going to try to get me. I planted a nice high brace, rode it a bit, then was able to sweep my boat into a nice ride. My boat began to turn toward the left and I planted a simple low brace and side surf the last bit in. I was very happy with managing that landing.

We kept an eye out for Mike and Claire, but I knew that Mike would be fine on the water. I loaded up and said my goodbyes to Bob. Now where to paddle on Tuesday??

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home