San Diego Kayaker

Friday, March 12, 2010

Golden Gate Kayak Symposium Recap

I had the opportunity to the second annual Golden Gate Kayak Symposium this year. The drive up from San Diego was uneventful, the hills and the valley floor were green from the recent rains, and the almond trees were in full bloom. I broke the drive up into two parts, since my mother lives in Bakersfield,  I thought I should stop in and spend some quality time with her and also enjoy a nice Basque dinner. 

The Golden Gate from Horseshoe Cove.

Although several folks opted to stay in Sausalito, I wanted the entire GGKS experience and choose to stay at the hostel in the Marin Headlands. Soon, the park lots were filled with cars and their boats. I decided not to bring my Chilco up to the event, but rather rent one. Matt Palmariello and Sean Morley soon had us checked into our rooms, I grabbed a lower bunk far from the door. There were several familiar faces, some from San Diego, others from the OC. We were all looking forward to a weekend filled with adventure.


As Friday morning dawned, the threat of a nasty storm loomed over us. The forecast was for 20 foot swells in the ocean, with 15 foot waves on the beaches. Winds were forecast between 20-30 knots, creating wind waves in the 3-4 foot range. Heavy rain was also called for. My planned trip around Angel and Alcatraz Islands did not look promising. 


Boats on beach


After getting into my drysuit, the entire 90+ attendees were welcomed by Matt and Sean. Sean was acting as the safety officer for the event, and gave us a run down of the conditions and rules. He then introduced our lead instructors, along with our special guest Freya. We soon broke into our groups and began planning our classes. My class decided that the planned route was too risky given the predicted conditions and the several crossing of the main shipping lane. We had concerns that we would be unable to see any large boat traffic in the seas and rain. 

The thirteen of us left the protected waters of the cove and paddled southward a bit to get a feel for the conditions the day might hold. We then head northward along Yellowbluff. The winds were picking up and the seas were picking up slowly. Max Flood was about 9:30 in the morning, so the water was starting to really move. The group started the crossing to Angel Island, but some felt uncomfortable in those conditions. I turned back toward the bluffs, but I knew my skills were at level that I could have made the crossing. I kept thinking to myself that the training from Jen and Jake was paying off. 

Our group continued north, riding the waves, "enjoying" the winds. It was a hard paddle, but a paddle of affirmation for me, as I knew that I was in control of my boat and blade (expect when a good gust came along). We landed near SeaTrek Kayaks and ate somewhat out of the wind and rain. After refueling, we headed north, exploring Richardson Bay. On the return leg, we fought increasing winds. I had to put on my sunglasses to keep the driving wind out of my eyes. I can tell the importance of a good forward stroke in conditions like that will really pay off. Several other paddlers commented that I did not look like I was fighting the wind as much as they were.

Since conditions were worsening, most opted of the shuttle from SeaTrek. Freya, our lead instructor and two other paddlers opted to make the return by water. I seriously thought about it, but knew my poor elbow could use the rest, if I was to paddle on Sunday. Later we learned that there was 50mph gusts reports. Jon Brindle told me they had paddlers blown over in their group.


Jon Brindle listening to the day's plan


This year, there was a kitchen staff, so meals were much easier to deal with that last year. The evening was filled with several talks about adventures around Japan and South Georgia Island. Sleep came quickly to almost everyone.



I planned to talk Saturday off, but went down to the cove to play "Mike Franklin". Once the paddlers were off, I met a good friend for brunch. Afterwards I explored the Headlands. Everyone's thoughts were on the earthquake in Chile and the tsunami warning.

Saturday evening was Freya's presentation about her journey around that island down under. Sleep was a little harder for most, since many had a few more aches and pains from their time on the water.

Sunday morning involved checking out of the hostel, then heading back down to the marina. Today's adventure for me was Racing the Tides. After some quick edging practice, we landed nearby and discussed the procedures for leaving a tidal eddy and into the main flow.


Paddlers near Yellowbluff


 We soon found ourselves near Lime Point, under the Golden Gate. One by one we paddled into the current as is poured into the Bay. We were close to a max flood of about 5.3 knots. I took one pass into the current. But I could feel the effects of Friday's efforts. So I peeled out and carefully watch the rest of the group take another turn. During our safety briefing, Sean said "You know that point when you say to yourself 'Just one more...', don't" and I decided to heed that advice. We returned to the Cove for a quick break. Dave O'Conner from CKF was also in our group opted to bail early since I had a flight to Asia to catch. 

Looking back on the weekend, it was a fantastic experience. I know it helped me grow as a paddler and I can't wait for next year.



Next time, Angel Island...


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home