San Diego Kayaker

Monday, May 08, 2006

SDKC Kickoff-A Swell Time

The San Diego Kayak Club held their annual kick-off paddle and BBQ. Overcast skies greeted those of us who rose early on Sunday. The weather has been cool all week. Six of us turned up for a pre-BBQ paddle. Jon, Teresa, Jane, Dennis and his son. Dennis and his son opted to stay in the bay and play around there. So the rest of us decided to head out Mission Bay Channel and head up to the Belmont Park rollercoaster and then swing back past the OB pier. Teresa had taken Brent Reitz's Forward Stroke Clinic, so she was recalling what she had learned the day before.

As we headed out the channel, Jon noted that the swell was looking quite large. We continued to work our way out of the bay, I could feel all the skills that Jeff's classes really clicked in. I felt so much in tune with my boat. Also, paddling with three other strong paddlers really lets one have the ability to test their skills.

The further we got out, we saw the swells were running 4 - 5 feet by Jon's estimation. We all agreed that today was not the day for this paddle. So we looped around the bouy, waved at the seal lions, and headed back in. There was one nice swell, that if I was wearing a wet suit I would have surfed it. I was one strong paddle stroke from a nice ride. But with a BBQ later, I opted to slip down the back side of it. Jon thought the swell was from the north, so we crossed back to the north side of the channel to shield us from the larger swell on the south side.

So, as a backup plan, we headed into Marnier's Cove. Jon and Teresa traded boats. Jon wanted to see how Teresa's Epic felt for the upcoming Bay-to-Bay race. Jane and I continued to work on the techniques for the FWP class: bow rudders, backward figure eights, draws, and the like.

On the way back Teresa decided to give Jane a impromtu test, and "complained" that she could not paddle Jon's boat and needed to be towed. So Jane hooked up Teresa, and I came over and stabilized the boats during the hook up. I then drifted off to the spotter role as they headed for home. Jane was paddling along fine. I did need to flip the tow rope around her rudder after she dropped it down for steering. But before you knew it, Jane seems to be slowing down. I doubt it was the added effort of pulling Jon and myself along with Teresa. :)

We landed back at Bahia Point, enjoyed some coffee and muffins and fruit with some other fellow paddlers. I think we all left before the grill was lit, but I am sure it was an enjoyable time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home