San Diego Kayaker

Monday, July 10, 2006

Moonrise over La Jolla

What a way to end the weekend. Meet Jeff at La Jolla Shores for a sunset/moonrise paddle. I got there a bit early, so I sat and watched the tide roll in as the hordes of tourists launch and land their plastic rental kayaks. What a sight.

After an easy launch through the tiny surf, Jeff and I headed northward. There was a light swell from the west, with some from the south. The sunset was incredible. The sun's glow against the cliffs was such rich golden color. This was wonderful.

Unfortunately, Jeff had a bit of swimmer's ear, so about half way up toward Torrey Pines, we made the call to swing back. Something about balance and being in a kayak, I don't know...

As we headed back to the boat ramp, the full moon had just started to rise above the cliffs. Where's Mike Franklin and his camera when you need him. The lights of the buildings around the Cove was twinkling in the distance. A magical view.

We chatted about a host of things while enjoys the gentle ocean swell. It was a perfected ending to the weekend. The landing was flawless. I attempted land without surfing in. The surf was so small, that I figured this would be a great chance to work out those mechanics. So as a swell or wave came about, I push backwards through the passing water, then reversed direction to head on in. At the end, I caught a tiny bit of surf, steered away from a large sand berm, and gently touched the beach.

Jeff commented that my skills had improved a lot from the last time we were in the open ocean together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home