San Diego Kayaker

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A missed rendezvous

Several of my good kayaking buddies decided to do a coastal paddle last Sunday. They originally thought that they might do La Jolla Shores to Mission Bay.However, they opted to do the Mission Bay to San Diego Bay paddle instead. Unfortunately, that distance is too much for my elbow right now. So Jane and I cooked up a plan to rendezvous at the end of Point Loma. Jane was going to call me with in the morning to let me know when they were launching and about when they might arrive there.

There was some uncertainity due to the fog that we had been having during the week. I got the call that they were launching and should be entering the harbor around 10:45. I finished making pancakes for the twins, and loaded up the kayak and headed to Shelter Island.

I paddled out under grey skies. The water had a little texture to it from the boat traffic. I kept an eye for boats head out for their day of fun. I eased around Ballast Point and cruised passed the sandstone cliffs of Point Loma. I did not have a watch so I was in full guessimate mode on time.

I neared the end of the point, and waited cautiously. Paddling solo takes a bit more effort to remain watchful. I decided to turn back toward Shelter Island. I gently paddled along, stopping here and there hoping that the might still catch me.

The elbow was feeling fine. So that was good news for me. I started to feel the effects of not having a coffee that morning and was glad I was landing back on the beach. Upon returning from the restroom, I watched as Jane, Jon, Teresa, Diane, Tom, and the English 'bloke' who was the reason for the adventure, landed. Drat! I just missed timed it.

I helped haula few boats up to the cars and chatted a bit. I'm looking forward to the Surf Day on Saturday!

The elbow was fine for the rest of the day. I never felt the need to ice it, not take and Advil. Yeah!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home