San Diego Kayaker

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Summer's End

As the evenings grow shorter, the ability to do the circumnavigation of Coronado also fades away for the Night Herons. Last Tuesday was probably that day. Realizing this, many of us made sure we did the trip. Four of us launched early, with the usual ribbing. Dennis, Teresa, Jane and myself pointed our kayaks toward Point Loma. The tide was going out, so we let that speed our boats along. Dennis recounted spending a morning up in the OC doing some rescue practice.

We soon reached the jetty, and began to look for a spot to slip over. I was hanging back as I was trying to get my water pack working. Dennis located a spot and we all slipped over single file. Expect me. I mistimed it and heard a nice scrapping sound and came to rest on a rock. I waited for a swell to lift me along. But now my boat has a gentle reminder of the trip.

The landing at the beach went fine. I side surfed the last bit in and the four of us were soon carrying our boats to the other side. We waited, carefully walking on the slippery and stinky mud for Frank and any other Herons who were chasing us. After about 10 minutes, we spotted the carrying their boats across the road.

As we entered the bay, a boat was leaving the docks. four of us grabbed it draft. They were headed to the concert at Humphrey's. we chatted a bit. Turns out he know Al, who paddles with the Herons as well.

We slipped under the bridge, as evening fell. Dennis motored along with Frank. I hung with Teresa for a while. We stopped briefly and Jane and her bright new light caught up. My left elbow was a bit sore from some yardwork, so I slowed my pace and watched my stroke carefully.

The lights of the San Diego skyline were beginning to twinkle to life. There was a bit of mist in the air, so the rays of lights from some of the bigger hotels forms beams into the darkening sky.

Jane and I cruised on home as Teresa's light danced ahead in the distance. The bay side of the trip was void of most boat traffic, although we had two good wakes to contend with. One from a yacht, the other from a cargo ship.

As we landed, the crackle from a fire on the beach filled the air (along with the music from the concert). All in all it was a wonderful paddle to mark the 'end' of summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home