San Diego Kayaker

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Surf Day at the Shores

The San Diego Kayak Club hosted a "Play in the Surf" day down at La Jolla Shores. So, with the alarm going off way too early on a Saturday morning, I rolled out of bed, kissed my wife good-bye and headed down to the water.

I opted to unload at the boat ramp at La Jolla Shores instead of the access point next to the Marine Room. Hauling my 18 1/2 foot Chilco, down those stairs is no fun. I ran into Tom who was also following suit. We could see some folks already gathering down the beach. I parked the car and quickly changed into my gear.

Unfortunately there was almost no surf to be had. I wished I had brought some water along to go out and do some milage rather than play in the surf. We carried the boats down to the Marine Room, carefully not to wake the sleeping homeless.



After some quick introductions and hellos to old friends, we launched out into the water. There was a variety of boats, Don in his SOT, several surf kayaks, and a couple other long boats.



Our first swimmer was Jane, as she was riding a nice wave in. I was able to catch a few small rides here and there. I also took this time to practice various strokes in the surf zone (if you could call it that).

On one wave, I did over reach my brace a bit and started to go over. My paddle and I were stuck in the sand. I thought about using the paddle to snap back up, but thought about breaking the blade. So I grabed a breath, and rolled. I was nice to have that confidence in your skills. I slid the paddle into an extended position, and up I came. Several folks were impressed. I thought my form was a bit off. My blade dove a bit too much for my liking.

I ended a bit early, hoping that I might make it home to attend shul. I bid farewell to the folks, who I hear continued on for about another hour. As I easily landed back at the boat ramp, I reflected a bit on how more comfortable I am after just a few times working in the surf. All in all it was a beautiful start to what would be a great day.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home