San Diego Kayaker

Friday, July 13, 2007

Generic Paddle

I wanted to get some miles under my hull before Saturday's paddle around Coronado (Jane, where do we launch from again...). So I decided to meet up with then GNNs. For those who do know, GNN stands for Generic No Name. Just a bunch of paddlers who meet up at 5:30 at Bahia Point on thursdays and paddle. Nothing fast or insanely long. Food and conversation to follow.

We slid into the waters and began headinout out the channel. I forgot to unhock my rudder, so I had to practice my steering strokes against the breeze we had. The channel was fairly calm and I had looked at the surf report and expected to find some calm seas. After enjoying a brief surf ride from a boat generated by one of the big fishing boats, we approached the end of the channel, the seas began to get a bit more choppy. The mouth of the channel is always a bit of a mess.

We paddled through the usual rough patch, expecting to find calmer waters near the bouy. But this was not to be. The six of us, did a quick turn around bouy and headed back into the bay. I had to toss in a few low braces as the water bounced me around. I decided to cut across the channel to get some protection from the wind on the north side. There was no boat traffic, so I scooted across the mouth. I was able to grab a few swells to push me along.

After regrouping, we headed back to the Bahia, as we neared the entrance to Mariner's Cove. Just in front of us was the group from Aqua Adventures. There must have been 30+ paddlers.

On the way back, I decided to work on a variety of strokes: draw on the move, bow rudder, stern rudder, low brace turns. I used the No Wake bouys near the Bahia as a course.

After landing, Pat served up some wonderful chicken burritos. The brownies and cake were also yummy. I chatted a bit, and thanked the GNNs for a wonderful paddle. Now, where are we launching from again...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home