San Diego Kayaker

Friday, June 19, 2009

There's going to be fireworks

Since my family was returning on Saturday, I knew I was not going to be able to join in the SDKC coastal paddle. Instead I opted to assist in Aqua Adventures Fireworks Paddle. I figure simple paddles like these are great to slowly learn various guiding skills. Jake and Mike were both glad to see that they would have a third hand. We had two groups join us; a Indian family and some folks from Alpine. I helped Jake set up the boats and hand out the gear. Since I don't know the inventory, this is the part where I always feel dumb.

Jake volunteered to act as the tour guide for the grandma of the Indian family, who came in traditional dress. We pushed off at about 8:45, not bad according to Jake. We slowly worked our way toward Seaworld. Mike took the point and Jake acted as sweep. I moved up and down the group checking on various folks.

We were 'early' enough that we paddled over to the Barefoot Bar, where quite the party was going on. From there we followed the shore of Vacation Island, then crossed over to Fiesta Island. That last crossing was painfully slow. We made it just around the bend of Fiesta Island as the fireworks started. I missed some of them as I was pulling one paddler who came close to banging into the rocks.

When the show was over, we made a straight line back to the docks. Just before turning to in the basin, there was a massive fishing boat pulling in. It must have been 100+ feet in length. Once it entered, we made our way in, and back to the docks.

I was a fun evening, luckily without too much drama. A perfect way to end my vacation.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home