San Diego Kayaker

Friday, May 12, 2006

One where Chris gets wet...

Our class gained another paddler, Mike, who pulled up in his nice new Audi. You got to love a kayak atop a little car. It reminded me of the ad for Seaward.

We returned to Bonita Cove to continue first with more draw practice. We focused on the hanging draw. Rotate, Rotate, Rotate. I have to remember to do this more with most of my strokes. One thing I had a bit of trouble with is my lower wrist tended to twist a bit as I held my draw. We played with pushing with each foot. I found using the opposite foot gave me more power. The boat does have strong bow tendency, so I tended to place my blade back toward the stern.

After a few games of joust (no collisions), we worked a bit on our edging.

Jeff had us pair up. One paddler was to hold the other on an agressive edge while they used a sweep stroke to spin the pair around. Unfortunately, I leaned to bit to far to be held and I went splash. My feet slipped a bit, but that is what I get for forgetting my water shoes, when I tried to roll. After a T-rescue, we continued our edging.

Jeff had us paddling backward on a 2 edge with our eyes closed. I could feel my boat steer offline. I attempt to correct with sweep strokes. I was not as far off line as I thought. At least I did not spin in circles. ;)

We continued back to the beach continuing our edging, and tossing in a few braces along the way. Maybe we can work on these next week before Jeff heads up to the Kern for a month.

At the end of the day, since I was already wet. I decided to attempt a roll. Greg Knight had stopped by, so I had a nice audience. Greg, former co-owner at Aqua-Adventures, was the one who taught me to roll several years ago, so no pressure.... I paused for moment, visualized the motions, took a deep breath, setup and over I went. Two taps on the surface, sweep around, hip flick, and up I came. Yeah!

My lovely bride had 3 wisdom teeth out today, so no paddling this weekend. So, Mike, Jane, and Teresa enjoy the bay to bay paddle. I might be able to grab some surfing in Sunday afternoon if she is up to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home