San Diego Kayaker

Friday, March 30, 2007

Quiet time on the water

With Passover coming I I knew I was going to be off the water with family in town, so I decieded to keep one las paddle in. I was only able to sign up for one class at the Southwest Kayak Symposium, so I could spend some time on the water and not be tired. Also it was going to be my last 'off' Friday. I am really going to miss that schedule, but my new job at Qualcomm beckens.....

I decided to head out to the end of Point Loma again, and maybe find the missing paddle from the adventures on Tuesday night with the Night Herons. I slipped into the water and held a nice pace as I aimed my bow toward Ballast Point. The waters were fairly calm, just some boat wakes from fishermen headed out to test the deep blue.

The bay was peaceful, as I reflected on 9 years of work at my last job. I started looking forward to my two weeks off. I have started to make a list of places I hope to paddle. No really big adventures, but some day trips to Orange County, although I am toying with the idea of heading up to Santa Barbara for a couple of days....

I reached the end of the point, I paused and looked the swell as it broke against the shore. No surfers today. I turned my boat around and headed back in. I had a lunch date with a good friend from HP, so I could not just drift back into the bay. The mechanics continued to work well. My elbows were a touch sore, but nothing that I was concerned about. I would always make sure I would take a break and relax.

The boat traffic picked up a little bit, so I kept an eye out for wakes as I made my way home. I landed on the beach after just under 2 hours on the water and about 7 miles under my keel. I forgot my inse water, so I attempted to rinse the sand from the boat, but dumpy poked his head out and got me. Great, I now have water in the cockpit. So, I had the pleasure of sponging the water out. crud.... (oh never did find that paddle...)

My elbows felt good later, so that was a great sign for all the kayaking I hope to do. I was really looking for the symposium. Later that night I started to feel a cold coming on. I woke up the next morning and knew that I had cold. I decieded that I should skip my class. Oh well. From the reports the event was a success. I still need to get my shirt.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home