San Diego Kayaker

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Happy New Year! Paddle #1

One of my goals this year is to paddle my age. So, to start things off right I join several members of the San Diego Kayak Club at La Jolla Shores for an easy paddle along the coast. A total of seven paddlers launched into the cool and foggy Pacific Ocean. We estimated that we had about 50 feet of visibility. We successfully found the Scripps Pier and continued northward, guided by our compasses. After about an hour, my elbow was feeling a bit a tight, and there was not a lot of sight seeing to be had, so we turned back toward La Jolla. Mike and Pete opted to continue northward for a bit. As we turned southward, the fog slow started to lift.

We landed without incident. In fact some took the opportunity to play in the surf. I caught a nice wave into the shore. I had to head home to get ready to take the family up to Disneyland to celebrate the twins 8th birthday.

We learned later that Dom Lemarie had taped our launch. Here is the video on YouTube. I'm the first one launching.

Forty paddles to go....

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home