San Diego Kayaker

Sunday, June 28, 2009

BCU 3 Star Training

Jen Kleck conducted a BCU 3 Star training yesterday. A total of 9 paddlers (Jane, Miki, Bob Jones, Jay, Brian, Joe, Tom, the other Bob) turned up for the class. The weather was prefect, we had a light breeze under sunny skies. We headed to the lifeguard station, and worked on our reverse paddling slaloming through the moored boats. With my Chilco, I have put the boat on a nice edge and work my way through. Apart from avoiding my classmates, I was able to move the boat through the course.

We then turned our attention to draw strokes. But soon Mike showed up with his Learn To Kayak class, so we crossed over to Islandia basin. There, we continued playing with various draws and rudder strokes. I played under the pilings of the restaurant. Not only did it give a challenge, it offered a little shade.

Then we worked on towing. Having some towing experience, I teamed up with Brian, who was new to kayaking. We worked our way out of the basin and headed up the channel. After a bit of towing up the channel, we then practiced becoming comfortable next to the jetty. We had a bit of current coming into the channel coupled with a bit of wind, so we had some minor conditions to deal with.

Jen then had us spin around and paddle backwards along the jetty. I brought up the rear, as I waited for the kayak traffic ahead to clear out.

As we cleared the end of the jetty, we headed toward Dog Beach. I unfortunately was feeling the effects of just having oatmeal for breakfast. Note to self, eat a better breakfast.

Bob went in first, and signaled that we could land. We took turns working our way in. I timed it perfect. I had a text book surf landing. I was able to back paddle over the waves and slipped right in. At the end I caught a nice little wave and surfed right in. Miki was the last one in, with Jen coaching her through her first surf landing. She did great! Everyone made in with their boat.

We grab a lunch, then back into the surf to play in the soup. This felt so good, the conditions were perfect. I did take a small break to rest the elbow, but it was so comfortable out there in it. We had a bit of confusion on heading to our next skill set. I was playing in the bigger surf, trying to retrieve my water bottle. I had Joe's for a while, but a good wave knocked it loose. Looked up to see most of the class outside the break, signaling for us to come out.

We headed to the north side of the jetty for rescue practice. I teamed up with Bob Jones. Our first skill was T-rescues, with a roll attempt first. Bob nailed his, as did I (extended paddle). After each person had done a rescue, Jen tossed in a race against the clock. I was able to get Bob back in his boat in a minute. WooT!

After that, we worked on Bow Rescues, or as the BCU refers to them as Eskimo Rescues. I was able to get Bob back up, unfortunately Bob just missed finding my hands and I had to swim. I developed a nice charlie horse in my left calf, so that made things more fun getting me back in.

We then practiced a bit more towing, including some contact tows, then headed back to the docks. We hugged the rocks and used the eddies to help push us along.

It was a great day on the water, I only wish it had been my assessment rather than just some training....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home