San Diego Kayaker

Friday, May 19, 2006

At the enchanted cove...

As I left the office, I had to check that I had my sunglasses, since we actually had some sun. But alas as I neared Fiesta Island on Mission Bay, the marine layer was still present. Oh well...

For the class I was joined by Teresa and her trusty canoe and Jane. After a quick strech and warmup, we explored linking some of the stroke that we have covered in the last few classes. Hanging draws into a forward stroke. Once I stopped over reaching during the transition to the forward stroke, I felt a bit easier with this combo. We also worked a bit on the stern rudder. Then on to the main event: a mock BCU 3 star assessment by Jeff. Teresa has her kayak 3 star (or is she a 4 star?), but is working toward the same in a canoe. This was really helpful. I've reviewing the materials, there is never a sense of time nor distance that the assessment item must be performed in. So this gave Jane and myself a good sense of this.

The reverse figure 8 went well, once I got over my test fright. I need to roate more during the sweep and try to edge more. It was funny, I just did not totally click in my boat last night. My hips were just a touch sore, probably from Tuesday.

The draws went fine. I could have attacked the draw on the move more. I think I was being lazy with that stroke. My sculling draw seems good. I did actually feel that I was able to control the boats bow and stern and keep the boat moving properly.

The low brace turn was fine. I love that one. It is a cheap trick to demo to new paddlers.

I'm still going to have to spend some time on the high brace. Next Weds. I am headed to a warm pool to work on it and the roll.

I didn't sit on my edge as well as I know I can. I also have to remember to slow everything down. It's Not A Race.....

I think I can convince Jane while Jeff is gone to have a wet class were we suit up in our wet suits and push it too far. If we stay dry we did not push it far enough.

I am leading a group of friends tomorrow on a paddle in Mission Bay. This should be fun. I will be working on some of the elements from the classes while we tour the bay. It should be a perfect chance to paddle on edge, etc. I have to tie up my tow rope tonight just in case.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home