San Diego Kayaker

Thursday, April 26, 2007

An afternoon on the water

After taking care of some chores in the morning and having a lovely lunch with my wife, I decided to head down to Shelter Island and go paddling. I still have Jane's camera, so I was hoping to get some nice shots.



There was a light breeze and the tide was rising. The water was a bit complex, nothing too bad, but I knew that I was going to have to be attentive. I was also glad I dropped my rudder, because I was feeling the effects of both the tide and the wind. The sailboats were loving the day.



I paddled on over to Anthony's to take a break at the dock. The dock is mostly gone at moment, but there was enough to paddle up to and grab a break. With the wind and tide, I figured I would head back toward Shelter Island and maybe slip into the channel by Liberty Station.



Now that I have turned into the wind and against the incoming tide, paddling began much easier. I was now spotting an occasional whitecap. As I cruised along Harbor Island, I decided to turn in to the channel behind Liberty Station.



Here is some of the old NTC buildings from the water. I was mostly sheltered from the wind in the channel, so I was able to take a little break. I tried to make sure I took breaks to rest. It is so easy to keep motoring along and running out of 'gas'.

I landed at the beach on Shelter Island about 3 hours later with just over 9 miles traveled. All in all it was a good hard paddle.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home