San Diego Kayaker

Monday, May 22, 2006

Guiding around Mission Bay

Last Saturday, I took a group of friends on a guided tour of Mission Bay. This was my first multi-paddler trip I have lead. I have taken a friend out solo, so this was a new adventure for me. So my neighbor Jim, an old friend Kevin and a former co-worker Neil went down to Aqua-Adventures. Neil meet us there, while the rest car pooled with me.

The weather was fantastic! We had a light breeze coming off the ocean (8-10 mph), and the sun was shining. After they got their PFDs, paddles and a brief intro by the Aqua staff, we headed off. Kevin was in a nice 'glass boat from eddyline, Jim and Neil had some plastic boats from Necky.

We had to adjust Jim's seat and foot pegs out on the water, but nothing too bad. We had a nice paddle out to the penguins behind Seaworld. We took a break there before we headed into the breeze. We crossed the channel and headed into Bonita Cove. We saw some jellys, but no rays. We looped through the cove then back to the shop. I demonstrated a variety of strokes and really focused on my rotation on my forward stroke. No one request an Eskimo Roll demonstration, so none was given. Some paddliing on edge was also done. I can tell that the FWP classes was laying a good foundation for my paddling.

I met the basic rule of guiding, return with same number you started with (if they are the same people, it is an added bonus!)

We head over the BBQ place near Sports Arena, but it was closed for remodeling, so we opted for some Chinese buffet.

Kevin works at eyeSpot.com, a video sharing site, and took some footage with his cell phone:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home