San Diego Kayaker

Monday, August 07, 2006

Sunday Morning @ Pt. Loma

Ok, having a degree in physics and being a computer programmer, you would think I would put 2 and 2 together. Earlier in the week, Jane sent an email out about a kayaker visiting from NoCal looking to borrow a boat and paddling buddy. Mike Brown, chimed in with a boat and to act as a guide. Later, Mike tossed out an invite to launch from Shelter Island and head out toward Pt. Loma. So, I drove down to Shelter Island for a 7:30am launch. Dennis was also there. I did not connect that the other paddler, Kevin, was the paddler from NoCal until after we launched. D'oh!

The four of us headed toward Pt. Loma under cool overcast skies. I opted to wear a long sleeve t-shirt since it was a bit cool. A nice change from about a week ago. I do need to get a long sleeve rash guard for days like this, and not wear the fabric of death.



We cruised out toward the lighthouse and around the corner. I hung back with Kevin and had a chat with him. I pointed out the sights as we paddled out. "To your left, you will see....."



As we round the point, the seas picked up slightly. According to Mike, we had 2-4 foot mixed swells with some light wind. I felt really good. We went past the breakers and cruised up the coast a bit. On the way back, the call of nature was heard, so I did practice my race pace at the end.

I did not have a chance to attach my water pack. Oh well.



All told I think we put about 9 miles under our keels. I think Kevin had a great time. He had a camera with him, so we see if any came out... 9/20 - Just added some of the photos that Kevin took that day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home