San Diego Kayaker

Friday, May 26, 2006

Bracing for anything

De Anza cove was the latest spot in our tour of Mission Bay for the Flat Water Perfection class. Jane could not make it, so I was just Teresa and her canoe. This was the last class for about a month with Jeff. I was sore and a bit tired from the pool session the night before. We started the class with some edging work. The classic tennis ball in the boat skill was used, while we shifted from edge to edge. Note: Give out the tennis balls after you launch. Mine rolled to the front of the cockpit, making feeling the position of ball a bit tough.

We moved on to some scullling for support. Once I got my rotation working, it felt really good. I was able to get the edges of my spray skirt into the water. I was having a little discomfort with my left hip. I have an old cycling injury from a crash during a descent of Sycamore Canyon. So I was not at my best.

After that, Jeff worked with me on the high brace. This is starting to click in my head. I think if I can keep my head looking away the water and get that c-spine going, I might have this. After the Bay to Bay race, maybe I'll head over to Bonita cove to work on this.

Jeff then worked with Teresa on some elements, as I paddled back out of the cove. This is where I was working on the sculling for support 'clicked'. Once I have some exposure to a particlar stroke, I get a frame of reference to work back to.

We finished up with some bow rudder work, but I was bit beat, and it was just not happening tonight. "You should have seen me on Saturday...."

One thing we did play with was, as we were on edge, leaning a bit forward. This created a scissor-like effect, which allowed for a bit more edge, yet still have some stability.

I'm probably taking the weekend off, do the daddy thing and all. Have a great Memorial Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home