San Diego Kayaker

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Bracin' in the Pool



In the continuing saga of working on my high brace, I headed to the Wavehouse in Mission Beach for some time in their pool. The good folks at Aqua Adventures runs a session about once a month. There were about 6 or 7 of us there. Some were working on rolls or re-entries. I focused on the brace. It is getting better, slowly.

One thing that seems to help, is the be more agressive. Jane would position herself to provide a rescue if I missed my brace. I did a few rolls after missing, but the quick rescue technique seems to work well too.

I spent the first part of the session, slowly working through the components of the brace, trying to build some muscle memory.

Jen did offer some pointers. She suggested sweeping a little when the blade hits the water, and when you recover, reach for the forward stroke on the other side.

I still think I have a timing issue with the blade and my hip snap. I think I am snapping too late. Maybe some practice this weekend.

FYI: Jane snapped the photo of me setting up for a brace on my weak side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home